The 11th meeting of the Advisory Board of the Center was held at the Center for Infrastructure Renewal (CIR) at the TAMU RELLIS campus on May 7, 2018. Prior to the closed business meeting session, the Board members and guests visited the Center’s new Control Center Testbed facility. That tour included a demonstration. After Dr. Mladen Kezunovic, the Center Director, and Dr. Kate Davis, faculty at Electrical & Computer Engineering, discussed the testbed capabilities and typical projects using testbeds, the closed session of the Board meeting was focused on current and future business issues.
Participants included the following:
Board Members (in alphabetical order):
- William Abler, Vice President of Commercial Development & Innovation, Entergy
- Miroslav Begovic, Ph.D., Professor & Department Head, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University
- Jorge Bermúdez, Chair of the Board, President & CEO, Byebrook Group
- H.D. Trip Doggett, P.E., President, benchmark Consulting, Inc.
- Bill Magness, President & CEO, Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT)
- John McDonald, P.E., Vice Chair of the Board, Smart Grid Business development Leader, GE Power’s Grid Solutions Business
- Kenneth Mercado, P.E., Senior Vice President, CenterPoint Energy (CNP), Electric Operations
- Kevin Nowka, Ph.D., Director, IBM Research – Austin
- Gary Rackliffe, P.E., Vice President for Smart Grids, ABB Group – North America
- J. Martin Scholtz, Ph.D., Executive Associate Vice President for Research, Texas A&M University
More information on all the Board members is posted here.
Guests (in alphabetical order):
- H.E. Essa Bin Hilal Al-Kuwari, Eng., President, Qatar General Electricity & Water Corporation (KAHRAMAA) and Chair of the SGC-Q Steering Committee
- Mohamed Ali S. A. Almuhannadi, Manager Public Relations and Communications Department, KAHRAMAA
- Ahmed Salman Al-Sulaiti, Ph.D., Eng., CEO, Qatar National Broadband Network; member of Advisory Board of Smart Grid Center-Extension in Qatar (SGC-Q)
- Nicholas Chremos, Director of Intellectual Property Licensing, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES)
- Shmuel Oren, Ph.D., Professor, University of California – Berkeley
- Narasimha Reddy, Ph.D., Professor, ECE; Associate Dean for Research; Associate Agency Director for Strategic Initiatives & Centers TEES
- Mark Smith, Senior Technology Advisor & Data Analytics Initiative Lead, Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)
- Glauco Taranto, Professor, COPPE / UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hosts from the Smart Grid Center (in alphabetical order):
- Haitham Abu-Rub, Ph.D., Managing Director of SGC-Q, Professor & Chair, Electrical & Computer Engineering Program, Texas A&M University at Qatar
- Kate Davis, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University
- Mladen Kezunovic, Ph.D., Center Director, Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University
- Andrea Kishné, Ph.D., Center Administrator, TEES Smart Grid Center
- Thomas Overbye, Ph.D., Associate Center Director, Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Texas A&M University
More photos taken at the demonstration and reception may be viewed here.