Mladen Kezunovic (S’77-M’80–SM’85–F’99-LF’17), received the Dipl. Ing., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering in 1974, 1977, and 1980, respectively. He has been with Texas A&M University for 31 years.
Currently, he is Regents Professor and Eugene E. Webb Professor, Director of the Smart Grid Center, and Site Director of "Power Engineering Research Center, PSerc" consortium. His expertise is in Protective Relaying, Automated Power System Disturbance Analysis, Computational Intelligence, Data Analytics, and Smart Grids. He has published over 550 papers, given over 120 seminars, invited
and short courses, and consulted for over 50 companies worldwide. He is the Principal of XpertPower™ Associates, a consulting firm specializing in power systems data analytics.
Dr. Kezunovic is an IEEE Life Fellow, a CIGRE Fellow, Honorary and Distinguished Member, and a Registered Professional Engineer in Texas.
Texas A&M University (TAMU), Department of ECEN, College Station, TX
Director, Smart Grid Center
Eugene E. Webb Professorship
Director, Power Systems Control and Protection Laboratory
National Science Foundation I/UCRC
Site Director, Power Systems Engineering Research Center (PSERC)
Test Laboratories International, Inc. d.b.a. XpertPower Associates
President& CEO, Principal Consultant
Texas Board of Professional Engineers
Registered Professional Engineer, License No. 76824
University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering
M.Sc., Electrical Engineering
University of Sarajevo, Sarajevo, Bosnia
Diploma of Engineering, Electrical Engineering
Texas A&M University at Qatar, Qatar
National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), Brazil
Special Visiting Scholar, Science without Borders
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Association of Former Students Distinguished Achievement Award for Research
Faculty Service Award, Department of ECEN
Texas Engineering Experiment Station, Senior Fellow
The King Saud University, Saudi Arabia
ARAMCO Chair in Electrical Power
Tsinghua University, China
Guest Professor in State Key Laboratory of Simulation of Power System and Generation Equipment
South China University of Technology, China
Honorary Title, Guest Professor
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Smart Grid Interoperability Panel 2.0 Director, Board of Directors
Smart Grid Interoperability Panel 1.0 Governing Board, Elected Member
The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
IEEE PES Prize Paper Award, "Advancements in Centralized Protection and Control WIthin a Substation"
IEEE PES Technical Committee, WG Recognition Award “Understanding, Prediction, Mitigation and Restoration of Cascading Failures”
Power Systems Relaying Committee (PSRC), Service Award for 25 Years
IEEE, Educational Activities Board Standards Education Award
Power Systems Analysis, Computing and Economics Committee, Chairman Certificate of Appreciation, TF on "Fault Analysis"
The IEEE Standards Association, Outstanding contribution to development of IEEE Standard C37.239-2010
International Council on Large Electric Systems-CIGRE
Distinguished member, US National Committee
CIGRE Paris, Fellow and Honorary Member
CIGRE Paris, Technical Committee Award for "remarkable technical contribution to the study committee B5, protection and automation"
26 Ph.D. graduate students
21 M.Sc. graduate students
8 M.E. graduate students
6 Ph.D. candidates
2 M.Sc. candidates
Texas A&M University
Member, ECE Tenure and Promotion Committee
Member, Energy Action Plan 2015 Advisory Committee
Member, Entrepreneurship Committee, Texas A&M University
NIST, Smart Grid Interoperability Panel
Director, Board of Directors, SGIP 2.0
Member, Testing and Certification Committee
Member, Governing Board, SGIP 1.0
Chair, GB WG on Communication, Marketing and Education
Member, Priority Action Plan 13
Member, Domain Expert Working Group for T&D
National Research Council
Review Panel, NIST Physical Measurement Laboratory
The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
Power Systems Relaying Committee
Member, Power Systems Relaying Committee
Member, Line Protection Subcommittee
Member of 28 working groups
Power Systems Analysis, Computing and Economics Committee
Member, Subcommittee on Intelligent System Applications
International Council on Large Electric Systems (CIGRE)
Convener, U.S. Representative, Working Group B5.62, Life Cycle Testing of Synchrophasor Based Systems used for Protection, Monitoring and Control, Study Committee B5 (Protection)
Member, U. S. National Committee
Convener, U.S. Representative, Working Group B5.10, "Education, Qualification and
Continuing Professional Development of Engineers in Protection and Control,"
Study Committee B5 (Protection)
Member of six working groups
Member, Editorial Advisory Panel, Electric Power Systems Research Journal, Switzerland
IEEE transactions in Instrumentation and measurements
IEEE Transactions on Smart grids
Science Foundation of Serbia
National Science Foundation
Canadian Electrical Association
IEE Proc. Generation, Trans& Distribution, England
IEEE Power Engineering Society, Trans. on Power Systems
IEEE Power Engineering Society, Trans. on Power Delivery
Journal on Engineering Intelligent Systems, England
Journal on Elec. Power and Energy Systems, Elsevier Science
Chair, NSF-PSerc Workshop, Physical and Cyber Infrastructure to Support the Future Grid: Unresolved Research Problems and Technology Requirements for the Next 10 Years
Member, Technical Committee, "IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT)", Washington DC
Chair, NSF Workshop on "Energy Cyber-Physical Systems"
Chair, Annual Smart Grid Workshop,
Texas A&M University
Total project funding raised is $43,397,792 (TAMU portion is $23,396,730)
(only the most recent 10 projects out of over 100 awarded are listed)
“US-India Collaborative for Smart Distribution System with Storage (UI-ASSIST)”
"Timing Intrusion Management Ensuring Resiliency (TIMER)"
"Smart Grids Big Data Spoke"
"Vegetation Management Risk Model"
"Integration of Solar Generation and Electrical Vehicles Into The Smart Grid"
"Detection, Classification, and Mitigation of Cybersecurity Attacks on Synchrophasor Systems"
"High Impact Project Title: Life-cycle Management of Mission-Critical Systems Through Certification, Commissioning, In-Service Maintenance, Remote Testing, and Risk Assessment"
"Development of Advanced Open-Source PMU/PDC Lab and Applications with Synchronized Data Obtained from Simulation and Actual Power Network"
"Energy Cyberphysical Systems: Experimental Open Source Ecosystem for Synchrophasor Research"
"The Use of Big Data for Outage Management in Distribution Systems"
The material available on this page is presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rigths therein are retained
by authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright.
In most cases, these works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
For material with IEEE copyright
Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/republish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating
new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from IEEE.
- M. Kezunovic, Z. Obradovic, T. Dokic, B. Zhang, J. Stojanovic, P. Dehghanian, and P. -C. Chen, "Predicting Spatiotemporal Impacts of Weather on Power Systems using Big Data Science," Springer Verlag, Data Science and Big Data: An Environment of Computational Intelligence, Pedrycz, Witold, Chen, Shyi-Ming (Eds.), ISBN 978-3-319-53474-9, 2017.
- M. Kezunovic, et al., "Design, Modeling and Evaluation of Protective Relays for Power Systems," Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-20919-7, 2016.
- M. Kezunovic, S. Meliopoulos, S. Venkatasubramanian, V. Vittal, "Application of Time-Synchronized Measurements in Power System Transmission Networks," Springer, ISBN 978-3-319-06218-1, 2014.
- M. Kezunovic, et al., "Smart Grid Barriers and Critical Success Factors," Chapter on Smart
Grids: Infrastructure, Technology, and Solutions, Stuart Borlase, Editor, CRC Press, ISBN 978-1-4398-2905-9, 2012.
- M. Kezunovic and S. Travis Waller, "Vehicle-Power Grid Interaction for Multi-fueling (EBV, PHEV),"
R. Meyers, Editor, Chapter on Encyclopedia of Sustainability Science and Technology, Springer, ISBN 987-0-387-89469-0, 2012.
- M. Kezunovic, "Fundamentals of Power System Protection," Wai-Kai Chen, Editor, The Electrical Engineering Handbook,
Chapter on Electric Power Systems, pp 787-804, Elsevier Academic Press, ISBN 978-0-12-170960-0, 2005.
- M. Kezunovic, B. Perunicic, "Fault Location," J. G. Webster, Editor, Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and
Electronics Terminology, Vol. 7, pp 276-285, John Wiley, ISBN 978-0-4713-4608-1, 1999.
- M. Kezunovic, et al., "IEEE Standard for Synchrophasor Measurements for Power Systems - Amendment 1: Modification of Selected Performance Requirements," IEEE C37.118.1a-2014.
- M. Kezunovic, et. al, "IEEE Guide for Synchronization, Calibration, Testing, and Installation of Phasor
Measurement Units (PMUs) for Power System Protection and Control," IEEE C37.242-2013.
- M. Kezunovic, et. al., "IEEE Guide for Phasor Data Concentrator Requirements for Power System Protection,
Control and Monitoring," IEEE C37.244-2013.
- M. Kezunovic, et. al.," IEEE Standard for Synchrophasor Data Transfer for Power Systems," IEEE C37.118.2-2011.
- M. Kezunovic, et. al., "IEEE Standard for Synchrophasor Measurements for Power Systems," IEEE C37.118.1-2011.
- M. Kezunovic, et al., "IEEE Standard for Common Format for Event Data Exchange (COMFEDE) for Power Systems," IEEE C37.239-2010
- M. Kezunovic, et.al, "IEEE Guide for Power System Protection Testing," IEEE Std. C37.233-2009.
- M. Kezunovic, et al, "IEEE Recommended Practice for Naming Time Sequence Data Files," IEEE Std C37.232-2007.
- M. Kezunovic, et al,"IEEE Guide for Determining Fault Location on AC Transmission and Distribution Lines," IEEE Std C37.144-2004.
- M. Kezunovic, et al., "IEEE Standard Common Format for Transient Data Exchange (COMTRADE) for Power Systems," IEEE C37.111-1999.
- M. Kezunovic, et al., "IEEE Standard Common Format for Transient Data Exchange (COMTRADE) for Power Systems," IEEE C37.111-1991.
Journal Papers (only last 10 out of 136 are listed)
Papers in Proceedings of Refereed Conferences (only last 10 out of 380 are listed)
Patents & Copyrights
"Data Highway Access Control System," U.S. Patent No. 4,379,294
"RISC-Based Open-Loop Simulator for Relay Testing - Hardware Design," U.S. Copyright, Reg. No: TX 4-273-793
"Design Document for RISC-Based Two Terminal Open-Loop Relay Testing Software," U.S. Copyright, Reg. No: TX 4-275-950
"RISC-Based Open-Loop Simulator for Relay Testing - Hardware Installation Manual and I/O System Design
Documentation," U.S. Copyright, Reg. No: TX 4-275-951
"Digital Simulator for Real-Time and Open-Loop Relay Testing - Installation Manual," U.S. Copyright, Reg. No: TX 4-275-952
"Digital Simulator for Real-Time and Open-Loop Relay Testing - Software Documentation," U.S. Copyright, Reg. No: TX 4-286-737
"RISC-Based Two Terminal Open-Loop Simulator Application Software-User's Manual," U.S. Copyright, Reg. No: TX 4-298-403
"Expert System Installation at STP Substation-User Manual and Design Documentation," U.S. Copyright, Reg. No: TX 4-294-172
"Real-Time Simulator Doc.," U.S. Copyright, Reg. No: TX 4-280-248